Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I finally Got My Rear in Gear: A brief history and race report!

For the third year in a row I got in on a 5K foot race local to Alexandria Virginia. I'll digress a moment to tell you about the charity because it's something that has relevance to me as a man, and has affected people I know. The race is Get Your Rear in Gear which raises money for the Colon Cancer Coalition and encourages education and screening for colon cancer.

I started racing this in 2009 by trying to form a team as a way to hang out with some of my non-hasher friends (back when I was trail running for beer) in a very non-competitive way, but alas, very few responded. Thus, I opened this up to my kennel and the idea was received well. The team I formed was called the Kilt Lifters (after my own hash name) and we all wore kilts and carried cardboard shields, swords, and axes.

2009 Kilt Lifters

What's your favourite charity race?

The very first year we were 17 strong and created quite the presence at the course on such a brisk morning in November of 2009. Our team became well known for our antics and our enthusiasm, especially since one of our members, Meg, was a survivor of the disease.

In 2010 we were significantly smaller in numbers but managed to raise a decent sum for the cause, but again with a great presence at the race.

About 6 months ago I looked back on my times and placing and realised I was always just shy of an age group podium.. finishing 4th and 5th in in age group years before, but always fell in the range of 20-50th overall. I now had my new mission.

In mid-summer I also started training under my coach, Jared Campbell, to help me really refine my running. [I'll talk about how he drastically helped my distance running in my end of season report]. After he pulled me through a number of end-of-season triathlons he had me shift to a different style of running, mostly concentrating on the short course (5K) to build on my speed and final kick. This was very different than from any style of workout I've ever done before.

Focusing more on the race here's what happened.


One of the biggest differences for this race way my intent. I had always run this garbed in my kilt, not really thinking about placing in any sort of division or anything, but I really desired something more this year. I did my workouts, tried to stay focused, and going in with an intent to actually race this year. The night before I was in bed early, with the onset of sleep delayed by trying to run through my race place in my head, as well as nerves. For a 5K? Why was I so nervous? Don't judge me.

My morning came early. A 0520 wakeup from my internal clock annoyed me for a good ten minutes, just before my 0530 alarm that I set finally buzzed. After breakfast and a little morning TV I left to pick up folks and drive to the course down at the beautiful Fort Hunt Park. It was cold this morning, just in the upper 30's, but it was rapidly warming up, and we'd see the temperatures hit the high 50's before the day was done. There was a delay in the race start due to I-495 being "shut down" but it wasn't too long. I started with a 10 minute warm up jog to get loose and calm the nerves.

Start of the race, surrounded by X-Country runners, yes, wearing a more 'aero' kilt :P
As I came back in from my warmup, Jared showed up and helped me run through my strategy one more time and he gave me a few more words of encouragement. Was I really trying to race this? I can't hang with these folks who master the 5K. Jared told me this race was mine, and I believed him. I moved to the front of the pack and waited for the Go. It came and went way fast. A few young kids at the front (who weren't really racing) took off like bats out of hell, but faded fast after about 200m.

After about two minutes the lead pack was established, comprised of about 6 of us. Three were in front of me, two behind. About a mile into it I settled into 3rd position, with 2nd and 1st just seconds in front. Jared said to me, "you can beat these guys!" The first mile was quick, probably around a 5:45 pace, but eased once we dropped a couple guys.

We ran as a unit for the next mile or so, and I attacked (if you will) just after mile two. Not so much to my surprise they responded and increased speed and held there ground as I struggled to keep pace with them. The lead guy, full of steam, ever so slowly began pulling away from the other runner and myself and I felt myself starting to get close to my red line.

"may the wind blow high, may the wind blow low..."
Over the last half mile or so I clung a few seconds behind 2nd place and we started coming back around to the finish. I couldn't fight the urge to look behind me any more and glanced over my shoulder during a turn and saw no one behind me. We passed over a grassy, cross-country-like patch and Jared was there waiting to cheer me in over the last 300m. The other two were increasing speed and I followed suit, but I knew I was too far behind, even with a great kick.

I came down the chute 26 seconds behind the winner, and about 8 seconds behind 2nd place to take a 3rd place overall finish. The highest I've ever finished in a field like this.

My finish afforded me a new personal best for the 5K and an Age Group win since they only overall awards for first place male and female, but award the top 3 for age groups. No matter. I had gone into this racing wanting merely one of three possibilities: A top 3 finish (check), an AG win (check), and a PR (check).... but I didn't think I'd get all three.
First place (age group)! Woot!

I owe heavy thanks to my coach, Jared, as well as my team for their encouragement and support. Really, I never thought I'd finish so strongly, but this was very encouraging. With the amount of people that joined our team (30) and the amount of money we raised for the cause (over $1300), I'd like to see if I can't race to raise awareness in more races, especially at the annual GYRIG 5K. I hope they always see a kilt finishing in the top 3.

Even got some nice fleece gloves for my win!
Side note, this coming Thanksgiving, where I unintentionally placed 3rd in my AG last year at a surprisingly competitive 5k in Williamsburg, I'm hoping to win my age group. Get Your Rear in Gear was my warmup to see where I am right now in performance, so now I know. With some more work under Jared's tutelage I'm hoping to drop my time again and really hammer in a good finish.



Shmegg, Meg, and ZZ Bottom on the move
Sweedon is decked out with his family colors
Additionally, special thanks to Steve Weedon and Meg Davis for helping me get the team going and for their fundraising efforts. Thank you to Get Your Rear in Gear for a great course, even managing to keep an excellent route with last minute changes pushed on them by the park. For the third year running, spectacular job, and I can't wait to do it again next year.

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck on your holiday races!

What's on your race calendar for the holidays?

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Congrats.

    Also, how many kilts were worn at this event? As I don't believe I am red/green colorblind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan. Our team was 30 strong this year, with about 24 or so wearing the kilt. I was truly impressed how many people came out. You should come next time! You can be our token Swiss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was more referring to how many kilts you wore. As you seem to have a picture with a green one and a different picture with a red one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah! I raced with a smaller, lighter one, but switched to my regular one after the race. Other one I raced in was a little... short, even for my liking...

    ReplyDelete